Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Frugal Luxuries on Sundays

There is an interesting column in the New York Times entitled “The Frugal Traveller”.  He recommends traveling cheaply with a budget of €100 per day.  He gives lots of tips for lodging, meals, and transportation. I did notice two interesting responses to his column by readers who also made recommendations. This one brought a smile to my face:

Go to church!  Not for religious reasons necessarily - but for cultural ones.  See how the local people spend part of their Sunday. Listen to the service and the singing and the ritual in that native language. And, it’s free!

Of course, I am for going to church and for attending church for more than cultural reasons, but I do agree that it is a luxury. In today’s busy world people are cutting out this activity because it takes up too much time or they are too busy. I have always maintained that it is a luxury to be able to sit and meditate, pray, even sing. We do not often do this, especially not in community.  I mostly sing in the shower, so when I get to sing in church, it is a real luxury. If I get to hear a great sermon, it’s even better, although most time, I am the one who is giving it - I always hope it’s great.  

Sundays for many people are chores preoccupied with getting things done that they could not accomplish during the week. The concept of Sabbath/A Day of Rest is overlooked for the hurriedness of modern life. Maybe we are participating in a luxury, even if frugal, when we gather on Sunday mornings. I like to think so.

No comments: